Thursday, April 3, 2008

Blunt?

I have always been known for being a blunt person or someone who does not sugar coat things in order to not offed or hurt. How ever that is not fully true I have been tiring to get better at it and I have all ways tried not to be because I do not wish to hurt people I love people.

The reason for this post is that I have been asked to be as blunt and honest as I want or can about something and I just can't decide if I should. With out letting you know what exactly it is lets just say that me being blunt and honest could really make some great changes that need to happen or it could just really hurt people and have no effect on change. I am reminded of the episode of Seinfeld which George is honest as to why he broke up with this girl and she flips out and puts her self in a mental institution. She asked for the truth but she could not handle the truth (please make your movie reference hear) and because he did what she asked he hurt and did not help. I don't wish to hurt unless it will help and in the end not hurt because it will make sense.

If anyone has any thoughts on what they think God would want or what they would please post them so that I can try and figure this out.

3 comments:

Brian said...

It is my belief that one must draw a definitive line between bluntness and honesty. The difference is in the manner and attitude your present your opinion.

Being blunt often makes someone come across as arrogant, highly opinionated, and overly passionate about something. This almost always results in a knee-jerk reaction by your audience to revolt against your words.

Honesty, when presented in a factual and friendly tone, will often instigate change to your audience. Sometimes this is tedious and requires you to reword a lot of things that may be very blunt in your mind. But "just coming out with it" is never a good idea, it needs to be tailored towards the feelings of whoever is meant to hear it.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

D-Rok said...

Yea, I agree with Brian

And by the way, take off the stupid word verification, highly annoying

Darren said...

Brian, in my opinion, is correct.